Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"Marks" by Linda Pastan

Linda Pastan was born on May 27, 1932 in New York City. She is an American poet of Jewish background.


My husband gives me an A
for last night's supper,
an incomplete for my ironing,
a B plus in bed.
My son says I am average,
an average mother, but if
I put my mind to it
I could improve.
My daughter believes
in Pass/Fail and tells me
I pass. Wait 'til they learn
I'm dropping out.


The speaker is showing the audience how her family grades her on her motherly and wifely duties. The poem, as a whole, is an extended metaphor for how the speaker is judged. It is very clear that she is not pleased with the way she is always being critiqued by her family, just like anyone else would. The fact that she is using the metaphor of grades suggests her irritation further. There is no emotion in the speaker's words, which shows that she is so tired of serving others with no appreciation. The speaker also talks about three different grading systems that are used in schools. She uses language from school all the way till the end. She ends up giving into the metaphor that irritates her so much. Since her family treats her like a student, she can have the student's rights. She will be leaving the family or "dropping out".

"Marks" is a one stanza, free verse poem. There is no rhyme scheme, but there is enjambment in a few lines. Linda Pastan uses enjambment in this poem to add some rhythm and to also help the readers continue thinking about the idea talked about in the previous line.

The extended metaphor is comparing life to school. In this poem specifically, life as a housewife, but we are always being judged, in everything we do. At any job our boss is constantly looking out and "grading" us. In our everyday actions people are always watching and judging us. If we were kind to someone we get an A, but if we were rude we could Fail. Not only are other people watching, but God as well. He is the almighty judge who gives us the grades that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment